Computer Rules | Computer Assistance Policy | Electronic Use Policy
Laptop Checkout Policy | Social Software Policy
Laptop Checkout Policy
- Laptop borrowers must be over the age of 18.
- Laptop borrowers’ personal contact information must be current at all times.
- Laptop borrowers must have the following forms of identifications at each checkout:
Valid library card
Valid driver’s license or other form of identification
Address verification (ex. Utility bill)
Valid phone number (phone must be working)
- Laptop borrowers must be cardholders of the Library for a minimum of 6 months or 180 days prior to laptop checkout.
- Laptop borrowers must have a cardholder record in good standing prior to laptop checkout (i.e., no overdue books, no outstanding fines/fees). All fines/fees must be paid in full prior to laptop checkout.
- Laptop borrowers cannot have lost or damaged items on their account for a period of 6 months or 180 days prior to laptop checkout. Lost or damaged items must have been paid or account cleared in order to be in good standing for the 6 month period. Laptop borrowers must agree to the terms of checkout by signing a Library Laptop Checkout Agreement.
- Laptop borrowers must agree to complete a user survey at every laptop checkout.
- Laptop borrowers who are delinquent (late returning laptop) forfeit their laptop checkout privileges.
- Laptop checkouts will be available from 10:00AM – 12:00PM and 2:00 – 4:00PM Monday – Friday ONLY.
- No checkouts during lunch and on Saturdays.
- Laptop borrowers wishing to save files that they have created must save them to a disk, USB drive, etc.
- Any documents saved on the laptop will be lost when the laptop is shutdown or lid is closed.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis. They cannot be reserved ahead of time.
- Each borrower (one per family/household) may checkout only one (1) laptop at a time.
- Laptops will be checked out for a period of five (5) days.
- Laptops are not renewable. You must wait seven (7) days from your previous laptop checkout before you can check out a laptop.
- Laptop borrowers must return laptops in prime (clean) condition. Laptops cannot be dirty, scratched, no spills, no missing parts.
- Laptop borrowers bear the responsibility for damage to the laptop due to neglect, abuse, loss, or physical damage. Any damages will be accessed at $25.00 per occurrence. Ex. 2 tears on case are 2 occurrences; sticky residue is one occurrence.
(The following points must be initialed by the borrower)
_____ Laptops shall not be put in the book drop or overnight drop box. They must be returned to a staff member who will check to make sure all items are returned intact. Failure to do so results in forfeited laptop/computer privileges.
_____ If laptops are lost, damaged, or stolen, borrowers are responsible for the replacement cost ($1,145) of the laptop plus any accrued overdue fines.
_____ If a laptop bag is lost, a charge of $45 will occur. If an AC Adapter/Power Cord is lost, a charge of $75 will occur. If battery is damaged or lost, a charge of $150 will occur.
_____ Laptops may not be used for any illegal purposes.
_____ If laptops are not returned on time, a fine of $10 per day will be assessed and all library privileges will be revoked until fines are paid.
_____ Laptops not returned 2 days after the due date will be treated as a theft and turned over to the proper authorities.
_____ Laptops must be returned to the library on the due date at least one (1) hour before closing.
_____ Laptop borrowers who check out the laptop MUST BE THE PERSON who returns the laptop. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Laptop borrowers must provide their own accessories (e.g., mouse, headphones, disk, and/or USB drive.) The use of the accessories must not require the installation of any software on the laptop.
- Laptops can connect to the internet utilizing wireless access points at home or anywhere free or paid wireless access is available.
- Laptop borrowers may not install any software on the laptops.
- Laptop borrowers may not alter, delete, or copy any software loaded on the laptop, or otherwise change its existing software or hardware configuration.
- If laptop borrowers alter, delete, copy or install any software or make changes to existing software or hardware configurations, laptop borrowing privileges will be revoked immediately and laptop borrower will be responsible for any and all cost for restoring laptop to original configuration.
- Laptop users must save files often and to an alternate source such as a flash drive. Closing the lid and/or shutting the computer down will result in loss of files or materials.
- Laptop borrowers are required to fill out a user survey upon returning the laptop for check in. A survey is required each and every time a laptop is checked out.
- ONLY ONE laptop per library card may be checked out at any one time.
Approved August 31, 2011 by the Vermilion Parish Public Library Board of Control.